Creating Optional Fields in Common Services
Optional fields are set up in Common Services and then added to each of the applications where you will use them.
- You create optional fields using the Optional Fields setup form in Common Services.
- You add the optional fields to the Optional Fields setup form in each application, then assign them to transactions.
To create optional fields:
There are no limits to the number of optional fields you can create. However, note that an excessive number of optional fields will slow down your system.
- Click the Optional Fields icon in Common Services.
- Enter an ID code (up to 12 characters) for the optional field, then enter a description for it (up to 60 characters).
- Select a type from the drop‐down list in the Type field (Text, Amount, Number, Integer, Yes/No, Date, Time), as described next:
Types of Optional Fields
Text: When you choose Text as the Type, you must also enter a length (from 1 to 60 characters), and then enter the text required, with a description, in the Values grid.
Amount: When you choose Amount as the Type, you enter an amount (defaults to 3 decimal places) and a description in the Value grid.
Number: When you choose Number as the Type, you must also enter a value in the Decimals field (from 0 to 9), and then enter a value and a description in the Values grid
The value will automatically have the number of decimal places you designated in the Decimals field.
Integer: When you choose Integer as the Type, you enter a value of up to 10 digits, and a description in the Values grid. (Note that the highest/lowest integer you can enter is plus/minus 2,147,483,647.)
Yes/No: When you choose Yes/No as the Type, the Values grid does not appear. You simply enter the optional field code and a description.
Date: When you choose Date as the Type, you enter a date in month/day/year format and a description in the Values grid. (The calendar icon is available in this field.)
Time: When you choose Time as the Type, you enter the value in an hour/minute/second format and a description in the Values grid.
Let our expert team show you how your company can get the most out of them and other optional fields features.