SunTel Technologies VoIP 9-1-1 Service is available whether you are using your VoIP service at your business or away at another location in Canada. However, important service differences do exist between SunTel VoIP 9-1-1 Service and traditional telephone service. These differences are discussed below.
When using the SunTel VoIP 9-1-1 Service you must follow the simple procedures discussed below:
- When you call 9-1-1 using SunTel VoIP Service, your call will automatically be routed to a 9-1-1 Operator, who will ask you for the Province and city you are calling from. Be prepared to provide your location and call-back phone number;
- When the 9-1-1 Operator has the above information, we will then transfer your call to the 9-1-1 Operator in your locality, who will request your local address information, e.g. street, apartment number, and who will then handle dispatching of emergency services to you;
- Do NOT hang up until you are told to do so, and call the 9-1-1 Operator back immediately if you get disconnected.
Most importantly, be prepared to provide your location and call-back phone number to the 9-1-1 Operator, since the 9-1-1 Operator may not have this information, or may assume you are at the last address you registered on file.
E911 vs. Basic 911 Service: When placing a call to emergency services with E911 or Enhanced 911, your telephone number and location are automatically transmitted to the operator during the call. These two features (telephone number and location) are what make E911 “enhanced.”
With Basic 911 (B911), your telephone number and location are not automatically transmitted to the operator trained to route your call to local emergency medical, fire, and law enforcement agencies. The attendant at the answering location verbally obtains the pertinent information that identifies the caller's need and physical location. The attendant then determines the appropriate agency and transfers the caller to that agency. SunTel Technologies Inc. provides a basic 911 type service.
Neither SunTel Technologies Inc. nor its directors, officers or employees may be held responsible for (i) direct, indirect, incidental, special, or consequential damages (including, without limitation, lost profits) or (ii) any damages whatsoever resulting from the loss of use, data, arising out of or in connection with this Agreement and SunTel Technologies term of service.
- 9-1-1 service is provided subject to availability, as some communities in Canada do not offer 9-1-1 services. In this case, call the required local emergency service directly, for example, the fire department.
- SunTel Technologies VoIP 9-1-1 Service will not be available during a power or network broadband Internet outage. Network congestion may affect your ability to dial, stay connected or clearly communicate with the SunTel VoIP 9-1-1 Operator.
WARNING: In the event of power failure or broadband outage, you will need to access a traditional phone to make an emergency call.
- You are responsible for keeping your address information for SunTel VoIP 9-1-1 service up to date, by calling SunTel customer service (1-888-978-6835 or 1-416-479-0505). Address changes are effective only after you have submitted your signed copy of the 911 application form included with your VoIP service application form. At this time 9-1-1 address information is only useable for automatic location identification by the 9-1-1 Operator. This address change process takes up to 2 business days.
- Ensure that you and all other potential users of the SunTel VoIP service are aware of these 9-1-1 service operating differences.
- The Canadian Radio and Television Commission (CRTC) and your SunTel Technologies service Agreement require the enclosed details be affixed to telephones connected to any VoIP service. Please affix the details in a prominent location on each phone. Ensure that they remain legible, and immediately replace worn or displaced decals by calling SunTel customer services.
If you have any further questions about your VoIP 9-1-1 Service, or if you require additional decals at no charge, please contact SunTel customer services by dialing 1-888-978-6835 or 1-416-479-0505 from any phone.